CSU Study Centres: Sydney and Melbourne 2014

Terms and conditions


The following policy applies to all overseas students studying at CSU. Please note that this general policy applies when it is not in conflict with an individual course’s refund policy. Some course fees, for example, include a “non-refundable” amount.

Inability to start

CSU will give you a full refund of paid tuition fees if:
  • you are unable to obtain a visa
  • political or civil unrest or natural disasters prevent you leaving your home country or paying fees in full
  • you are unable to commence your course because of a serious and prolonged illness, disability or death of you or a parent, sibling, spouse or child
  • your offer of a place is withdrawn (unless the offer was made on the basis of incorrect or incomplete information supplied by the student, in which case CSU will retain 10% of the fee for one session)
  • the course for which you enrolled is no longer offered
  • CSU refuses to enrol you in a course

To seek a refund in these circumstances, you (or your agent) should write to the Student Administration Claims Committee (see address details on the back cover), supplying copies of relevant documentation (such as a visa refusal letter or medical certificates).
Your refund will be based on the Australian dollar fee for the course (rather than the foreign currency amount you paid). The amount will be paid within four weeks by telegraphic transfer to a bank in your home country. CSU cannot pay your refund into an Australian bank.

Withdrawal from one or more subjects after commencement

There are two separate processes that must be completed.

a) Change your enrolment to withdraw from the subject (or subjects)
Enrolment variations can be made at any time prior to the Census Date using the online Enrolment Variation form on CSU’s Student Administration website. 

After the Census Date has passed you must make the enrolment change in writing to CSU’s Student Administration office.

Once the variation has been submitted, your request will be passed to the relevant faculty that teaches the subject (or subjects) who will decide whether an Academic Withdrawal (or AW) should be awarded. The Academic Withdrawal Policy is explained in Section 13 of the enrolment regulations.

Please note that if you are an on campus student, Australia visa requirements require you to study full-time.

Find out more

b) Seek a refund of tuition fees paid for the subject (or subjects)
If you wish to seek a refund of tuition fees after withdrawing from a subject or subjects, you must make your request in writing – and follow this with an appointment to see the Course Director at the CSU Study Centre.

Refund schedule

If you withdraw from a subject less than four weeks after the commencement of session, you may request that 100 per cent of that course fee be credited to your account for use in later subjects.

Otherwise, CSU will refund your tuition fees according to the following schedule:


4 weeks (28 days) or more before the start of session 90%
Less than 4 weeks (28 days) before the start of session 75%
At the start of session, or less than 4 weeks (28 days) after the
4 weeks (28 days) or more after the start of session 0%

In the case where your request for a refund is 28 days before the start of session and related to the first session, an administrative fee of up to AU$500 may be charged. The non-refundable portion of the tuition fee, plus the administrative fee, will not exceed AU$2,500. Your refund will be credited to your student account. If you are terminating your course, your credit balance will be paid by telegraphic transfer into a bank account in your home country.

Note: if you withdraw from a subject prior to payment, a charge will be made against your account as per the above schedule.

Exceptional circumstances
The Student Administration Claims Committee may consider written requests for refunds due to exceptional circumstances and may increase the amount of refund provided.
Applications for exceptional circumstances must provide details and appropriate verifiable evidence of the circumstances why a refund beyond the stated policy should apply.

No refund
A refund will not be provided if the application includes fraudulent or forged documentation.


Appeals of decisions
If, after 30 days from receipt of an application, you have not been notified of an outcome, or if you are unhappy with the decision, you may appeal to the Campus Director at the CSU Study Centre.

Change of visa status
If you are granted Australian Permanent Resident status, your fee-paying structure changes.
You should provide CSU’s Student Administration office with written evidence before 31 March or 31 August of any calendar year. You will receive a refund of all tuition fees for courses you have paid for after the date.

You are eligible for HECS-HELP if you are enrolled as a Commonwealth supported student and you are either: an Australian citizen or a permanent “Humanitarian” visa holder resident in Australia for the duration of your unit. Permanent visa holders (non-humanitarian subclass) are not eligible to access a HECS-HELP loan. (Permanent Resident status is recognised from the date stamped on your passport, not the date on which you applied). Your refund will be credited to your student account.

If you are not satisfied with the application of this policy, you may take action through the University Ombudsman. You are also entitled to take legal action under Australia’s consumer protection laws.

Permanent residency
The offer of admission to CSU is made to you as an international fee-paying student.
It is important that you are aware that CSU does not currently have any domestic undergraduate places at CSU Study Centres in Sydney or Melbourne.
There are places available for domestic postgraduate students in some courses.

If you obtain Australian permanent residency before enrolling in a study program your offer of a place (or your enrolment) as an international student will lapse.
Your application for admission as a local student will then be assessed. Please note that, because of government controls on the number of local students that can be enrolled, you may not qualify for a local place.

If you obtain permanent residency before you enrol, you must notify CSU in writing as soon as possible, enclosing certified documentary evidence of your residency status. If you obtain Australian permanent residency prior to the Census Date of any enrolment session, your enrolment status will change to that of Australian student.

If you obtain Australian permanent residency after the Census Date of your enrolment session, your enrolment will continue as an international fee-paying student until the end of that session. Thereafter your status will change to that of local (Australian) student.

Orientation program is compulsory
International students must arrange to be on campus a week before the start of the first session in order to take part in a compulsory orientation program.
If you are going to arrive after the commencement of session, you must seek approval from CSU Admissions Office by e-mailing studycentre@csu.edu.au
Please advise your expected date of arrival when applying for late enrolment approval. Students will not be allowed to enrol after the end of the second week of session.

Airport pick-up refunds
For cancellations less than 48 hours before arrival, no refund will apply.
If a student arrives at the airport and the Airport Pick-Up service provider cannot be located, students should contact the 24-hour phone number provided.
If a student is then compelled to make alternative arrangements, a full refund of the Airport Pick-Up service fee will apply.

Student visa requires full-time study
It is a requirement of your student visa that you undertake studies on a full-time basis. Changes to your enrolment and any breach of the student visa conditions in relation to academic performance must be reported to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

The student (and, where applicable, his or her parent or guardian):

(i) agrees that the student’s photographs, videos, artwork or other works, as well as recorded or written testimonials and details of the student’s achievements (“Student Images and Testimonials”) may be used by Study Group, or by a third party agent of Study Group, worldwide for promotional purposes including in its printed and online marketing materials and on any social media network without further consent or notification; and

(ii) gives consent to Study Group storing, or transferring across international borders, copies of the Student Images and Testimonials for such purposes.

Disclosure of information
CSU reminds you that the information provided in your application may be made available to Australian Commonwealth and State Agencies pursuant to obligations under the ESOS Act 2000 and the National Code.
A description of the ESOS framework is available electronically. 

Learn more about the National Code

CSU is required under Section 19 of the ESOS Act 2000 to inform the Department of Immigration and Border Protection about changes to your course enrolment and any breach of your Student Visa condition relating to satisfactory academic performance.

Homestay/Lodge refunds (all campuses)
(a) Students who cancel their accommodation less than seven days before arrival will be charged the Accommodation/Homestay Placement Fee (if applicable), plus a cancellation fee equivalent to one week of accommodation.

(b) Students who cancel their accommodation after arrival are required to give four weeks’ notice. Any accommodation fees in excess of the notice period will be refunded, less a 10% cancellation fee.

If the Resident cancels the Occupancy Agreement more than 60 days prior to the commencement date of the Occupancy Period, the Security Deposit will be refunded in full.
If the Resident cancels the Occupancy Agreement between 30 and 60 days prior to the commencement date, the Resident will be entitled to a refund of 70%.
If the Resident cancels the Occupancy Agreement less than 30 days prior the commencement date, the Resident will be entitled to a refund of 50%.

Termination of Occupancy Agreement
Permanent Residents

1. Permanent residents must give not less than 60 days’ notice [in writing] to terminate the UniLodge on A’Beckett Occupancy Agreement.
2. If the permanent resident terminates in the first six (6) months of the Occupancy Period, occupancy fees must be paid in full for the six-month period.
3. If the Resident gives notice to terminate after the first six (6) months of the Occupancy Period, and has fully complied with all the terms and conditions of the Agreement, the Resident is entitled to a refund of the Security Deposit.
4. In all cases of termination prior to expiration of the License Period, an Administration Fee of AU$220 will be charged.